Alliance Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- When will the changes be in place?
- What age groups are eligible to train with the Alliance academy?
- How often will the Alliance Academy train or play?
- Will my zone registration fees go towards supporting the Alliance academy?
- How many players will be selected in each Alliance academy age group?
- Who will handle registration of Alliance academy?
- Do Alliance academy teams play in the SYSI league?
- Can U9 players tryout or be asked to play in the U11 Alliance practice? or can U11 Alliance play up in U13?
- Can a player play in an outside academy and Alliance? Can a player only play in an outside Academy and not for a Zone and play for Alliance?
- Who will coach in the Alliance academy?
- Are there tryouts or will players just be asked? How is the selected process made and by who?
- Why are the zones and SYSI teaming up on the Alliance academy and making changes to the league?
- The zones have all come together to work on the Alliance academy?
- So where exactly does PSL fit in during the summer season?
- How will you ensure fairness form all Zones in regards to the player selection for the Alliance academy or citywide Alliance PSL teams?
- If players do not make it onto the Alliance citywide PSL teams can they join another SSA Member Organization's PSL team?
- Why is Alliance forming only two super teams in age/gender group?
1. When will the changes be in place?
For the Outdoor 2021 PSL Season, SYSI in conjunction with the five Zones, formed citywide Saskatoon Alliance PSL teams. The Alliance Academy is set to launch with weekly training sessions for the 2021-22 indoor season. Academy training will be scheduled specifically around, and to accommodate, zone training and competition.
2. What age groups are eligible to train with the Alliance Academy?
3. How often will the Alliance Academy train or play?
During the indoor season, there will be one session per week for those selected to the Alliance Academy. Those players will also play in weekly games and train twice weekly with their zone team. In the outdoor season, selected U11 players will train once per week with the Alliance Academy to complement their playing and training with their club team. Selected U13 players will train once per week with the Alliance Academy to complement their playing and training on their zone's Provincial Soccer League (PSL) team. Selected U15 and U17 will train and play multiple times per week with and on their Saskatoon Alliance PSL team, which will feature players from across all five zones.
4. Will my zone registration fees go towards supporting the Alliance Academy?
5. How many players will be selected in each Alliance Academy age group?
- The target for girls and boys in each Alliance Academy age group is 40.
6. Who will handle registration of Alliance Academy?
7. Do Alliance Academy teams play in the SYSI league?
- No, players who are training with the Alliance Academy also participate with their respective zone teams for league, there are no academy teams which play in the leagues. Team formation for SYSI league play will remain the domain of Aurora, Eastside, Hollandia, Lakewood and SUSC.
8. Can U9 players tryout or be asked to train in the U11 Alliance Academy? or can U11 players participate in U13 Alliance Academy?
In the best interest of a player’s development, underage players are not eligible for an Alliance Academy tryout without a recommendation from their Zone Technical Director who is eminently qualified to advise on this matter. Zones are following the CSA’s guidelines for providing additional development through their skills centres for players ages 7 to 12.
9. Can a player play in an outside academy and the Alliance Academy? Can a player only play in an outside academy and not for a Zone and participate in the Alliance Academy?
- To be eligible or selected for the Alliance Academy you must also be partaking in the SYSI Alliance League with your Zone. It is expected that a player’s full commitment and priority is to the Alliance and their Zone commitments. This would include one weekly league game, Zone team practices, and Alliance training session amounting to a minimum but not limited to four days a week.
10. Who will coach in the Alliance Academy?
- Each age group and/or gender will be led by a zone's technical director. Coaching alongside the TD on each team will be coaches from the zones. A technical lead will be put in place to oversee and manage the entire program.
11. Are there tryouts or will players just be asked? How is the selected process made and by who?
12. Why are the zones and SYSI teaming up on the Alliance Academy and making changes to the league?
This new pathway will let athletes stay with their zone for their entire youth playing days, all while offering options that fit each player. For some, that means academy training combined with zone practices and games. For others, it's a lower commitment option with one game a week and the option of a weekly practice thrown in.
13.The zones have all come together to work on the Alliance Academy?
Indeed. Aurora, Eastside, Hollandia, Lakewood and SUSC, along with SYSI, spent months planning side-by-side and were in unanimous support of the Alliance academy and changes to SYSI league format. Collectively, they are excited to be embarking on this new, historic path.
14. So where exactly does PSL fit in during the summer season?
At U11, there is no PSL. In U13, each zone may form and enter its own PSL squad. At U15 and U17, the Saskatoon Alliance's PSL teams will be made up of players from all five zones. Those who aren't selected to Saskatoon Alliance's city-wide PSL teams will compete on zone formed teams in the SYSI City League or Alliance League.
15. How will you ensure fairness form all Zones in regards to the player selection for the Alliance Academy or citywide Alliance PSL teams?
- The Alliance Committee which is comprised of all five Zone TD’s and an SYSI Liaison as well as the head coaches will select the players to ensure fairness.
16. If players do not make it onto the citywide Saskatoon Alliance PSL teams can they join another SSA Member Organization's PSL team?
- If in between season, the player would need to follow the SSA’s player movement policy and obtain a release from their Member Organization stating good standing.
17. Is SYSI forming super teams in each age/gender group?
- There are many soccer organizations and academies which are providing competitive programming or training for the U15-U17 age groups in Saskatoon. SYSI is forming citywide teams for the outdoor season for participation in the U15-U17 Provincial Soccer League (PSL) in order to form competitive viable teams. The SYSI Alliance League on both indoor and outdoor seasons will consist of teams formed under the current zone boundaries with participation of Zone teams.