1. When will the changes be in place?
For the Outdoor 2021 PSL Season, SYSI in conjunction with the five Zones, formed citywide Saskatoon Alliance PSL teams. The Alliance Academy is set to launch with weekly training sessions for the 2021-22 indoor season. Academy training will be scheduled specifically around, and to accommodate, zone training and competition.
2. What age groups are eligible to train with the Alliance Academy?
It starts in U11 for girls and boys and runs up to U19.
3. How often will the Alliance Academy train or play?
During the indoor season, there will be one session per week for those selected to the Alliance Academy. Those players will also play in weekly games and train twice weekly with their zone team. In the outdoor season, selected U11 players will train once per week with the Alliance Academy to complement their playing and training with their club team. Selected U13 players will train once per week with the Alliance Academy to complement their playing and training on their zone's Provincial Soccer League (PSL) team. Selected U15 and U17 will train and play multiple times per week with and on their Saskatoon Alliance PSL team, which will feature players from across all five zones.
4. Will my zone registration fees go towards supporting the Alliance Academy?
No. The Alliance Academy will be financially independent and self-sustaining. There will be separate registration fees for those who try out and are selected for the Alliance Academy. Scholarships and funding will be available for Alliance Academy programming for those who otherwise might not be able to participate.
5. How many players will be selected in each Alliance Academy age group?
6. Who will handle registration of Alliance Academy?
SYSI will handle registration for U11-U19 Academy programming as well as U15 & U17 PSL team tryouts and registration.
7. Do Alliance Academy teams play in the SYSI league?
8. Can U9 players tryout or be asked to train in the U11 Alliance Academy? or can U11 players participate in U13 Alliance Academy?
In the best interest of a player’s development, underage players are not eligible for an Alliance Academy tryout without a recommendation from their Zone Technical Director who is eminently qualified to advise on this matter. Zones are following the CSA’s guidelines for providing additional development through their skills centres for players ages 7 to 12.
9. Can a player play in an outside academy and the Alliance Academy? Can a player only play in an outside academy and not for a Zone and participate in the Alliance Academy?
10. Who will coach in the Alliance Academy?
11. Are there tryouts or will players just be asked? How is the selected process made and by who?
The sorting process for the Alliance Academy takes place at the Zone level whilst taking part in the SYSI Alliance League. Zone in-house training programs are also available, and they are fundamental to the success of providing developmental opportunities for all players.
12. Why are the zones and SYSI teaming up on the Alliance Academy and making changes to the league?
This new pathway will let athletes stay with their zone for their entire youth playing days, all while offering options that fit each player. For some, that means academy training combined with zone practices and games. For others, it's a lower commitment option with one game a week and the option of a weekly practice thrown in.
13.The zones have all come together to work on the Alliance Academy?
Indeed. Aurora, Eastside, Hollandia, Lakewood and SUSC, along with SYSI, spent months planning side-by-side and were in unanimous support of the Alliance academy and changes to SYSI league format. Collectively, they are excited to be embarking on this new, historic path.
14. So where exactly does PSL fit in during the summer season?
At U11, there is no PSL. In U13, each zone may form and enter its own PSL squad. At U15 and U17, the Saskatoon Alliance's PSL teams will be made up of players from all five zones. Those who aren't selected to Saskatoon Alliance's city-wide PSL teams will compete on zone formed teams in the SYSI City League or Alliance League.
15. How will you ensure fairness form all Zones in regards to the player selection for the Alliance Academy or citywide Alliance PSL teams?
16. If players do not make it onto the citywide Saskatoon Alliance PSL teams can they join another SSA Member Organization's PSL team?
17. Is SYSI forming super teams in each age/gender group?